Installing GSL on Sweetgum
- OS: IRIX 6.5
- Compiler: gcc 3.3
- GSL version : 1.7 as of September 2005
- Sources dowloaded from: ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/gsl/
- Installation Location: /usr/local/appl
- mips4 crtl.o library Issue: While compiling with the library with gcc, it kept looking for crtl.o in /usr/lib/mips4 where there was'nt any.
Assuming the IRIX has the right crtl.o file under /usr/lib itself we put a soft link to it in /usr/lib/mips4
- "false" issue:the "libtool" executable script that the configuration script generates is modified and RANLIB= "false" is replaced by RANLIB= :
- arg list too long issue: AR command which is used by the compiler complains that "arg list is too long" hence the kernel paramter ncargs is modified and increased to max allowed
- As per the GSL website compilation with gcc has only been reported. We did try compiling with the "cc" compiler which failed
- Dynamic library issue:Compiling the library to be a dymanic library was failing, the recoemnded fix was to compile as a static. But we noticed that if we
set the environment variable CC to "gcc -mips4 -mabi=64" instead of just "gcc", it compiles successfully as a dynamic link library.
- the script tool libtool was renamed as gsltool and stored in /usr/local/appl/bin for users to use during compilation of their GSL related programs