Volume 5, Number 1
by Taner Pirim
Ole Miss has recently upgraded its X-Win32 software from version 6.1 to version 7.1.
The new version has some important features that were needed and requested by MCSR researchers at Ole Miss. However, the number of concurrent
licenses for the Ole Miss campus network is still 75 due to the limited number of users of this advanced software.
X-Win32 is the ONLY PC X server that lets you connect to multiple UNIX/Linux desktops at the same time and also run some X Windows
applications in separate Xterm windows. The additional new features of X-Win32 ver.7.1 are as follows:
- Updated OpenGL Support: The hardware acceleration support for 3-D OpenGL applications has been added. An overhaul of the OpenGL code added 55 new OpenGL extensions.
Test applications show frame rate improvements of 5X to 20X. High-level 3-D modeling applications like I-DEAS and Catia that failed before, now work well with X-Win32, including hardware accelerated graphics.
- Updated Installer: It has been changed from an InstallScript-based installer to an MSI-based installer, a feature that customers have been requesting for years.
- Graphics: They have added support for depth 24 XYPixmaps, which were required for many advanced graphics design programs such as GNUplot and Mentor Graphics IC Design tools.
- Crash Handler: A new built-in Crash Handler allows customers to send in a crash report when a crash occurs.
- Automatic Build System: A new auto-build system has been adopted.
- Auto Desktop: New users will be able to quickly bring up a remote UNIX or Linux desktop. X-Win32 automatically starts an XDMCP session.
The user simply selects the host from a list and entered his login/password at the prompt.
- Updated X11 Code: Version 7 is based on the latest X11 6.8.2 release from the X.Org Foundation.
- New Extension: Version 7 adds 13 new X11 extensions. The X-Input Extension, for example, now allows X-Win32 to work with Linux desktop facilities such as Konqueror.
- Smart Copy & Paste: Version 7 offers a completely new Copy & Paste code. No longer does the user have to figure whether material is copied to the primary or secondary clipboard. X-Win32 does this for you.
If you need detailed information about the new and major features of version 7.1 and/or any other version, please visit
the webpage http://www.starnet.com/products/xwin32/features.htm.
For more information on how to download and setup X-Win and F-Secure SSH (UM campus only), please visit MCSR's X-Win32 webpage
For X-Win32 installation keys, contact UM IT Helpdesk or MCSR via email or phone.
For further assistance, contact the MCSR consultants.