The House: Built originally around 1844, the house was virtually dilapidated when Faulkner bought it and the surrounding four acres of landscaped grounds for $6,000 in 1930. Floor beams were rotting, the roof leaked badly, and the house lacked the modern amenities of plumbing, electricity, and centralized heating. After first shoring up the sagging floor with a new beam, Faulkner set out to restore his new home, doing most of the work by himself or with a single helper. Within a few years, the house was wired, plumbed, and centrally heated. In the early 1950s, Faulkner again resumed work on the house, adding several rooms upstairs and down.