The Library: This room's walls were originally covered with wildlife murals done by Miss Ellen Bailey. Faulkner whitewashed the walls and eventually plastered them. The portrait of Faulkner above the mantel, and of Preacher Green Liggin above the bookshelves and of the Magnolia blossom on the left of the entrance, were done by Mrs. Maud Butler Falkner (sic), Faulkner’s mother. Faulkner built the bookshelves himself, building in locking compartments on the bottom to store his shotgun shells. The sculpture on the table was given to Faulkner by a Brazilian artist and the bust of Don Quixote was acquired in Mexico. Faulkner wrote in this room until 1952 when he built his own writing room.